Mold damage on sheathing inside this attic

If your home is over 15 years old with climates like we get here in Southeast Michigan, there’s a good chance you could have mold issues in your attic and roofing. Newer codes have helped alleviate the problem but older homes are especially prone to it due to improper ventilation.

Even on newer homes, we always do an attic inspection whenever possible while evaluating a roof. Both your attic and your roof need to breathe which is vitally important! There are a couple of primary ventilation issues we commonly see: attic insulation blocking air flow, and, amazingly, kitchen and bathroom vents that blow moist air directly into the attic instead of outside.

This removed roof sheathing shows heavy mold damage

Mold presents both a detriment to the life of your roof and a health hazard. For this reason, it is the main thing we look for. It is usually discovered during inspection but if not, it will be discovered during the roofing project. It may be dead and dried out or living, moist, and growing. Either way, it is not something you want inside your home.

When mold is detected, you have three options:

  1. Replace all the moldy sheathing and fog the attic with a mold killing solution to prevent further growth
  2. Fog the attic with mold killing solution if the sheathing is structurally sound
  3. Do nothing and allow the damage and health risks to continue and spread

This closeup shows that the sheathing here would have been sound except for the mold damage that could have been prevented

Only option #1 is recommended. Victors Roofing and any other reputable roofing company will make this recommendation and require a signed statement if you decline to have the sheathing replaced.

In addition to eradicating the symptom, mold, you need to eliminate the cause, poor ventilation or moist air not being routed outside. This can mean installing baffles to improve attic ventilation and/or duct work for kitchen and bathroom ventilation fans. Mold is aggressively prolific. Both the life span of your roof and the people breathing inside the home will benefit from having the problem solved.